Throughout centuries, Armenian monasteries have played a great role in the spiritual, cultural and political life of the Armenian people. These holy sites are recognized not only as centers of prayer, but also as scriptoriums where numerous works and translations were scripted, hand-copied and passed on to generations to come. Many of the church complexes represent magnificent and inimitable samples of the Armenian ancient and medieval architecture.
The monastery is located near the town of Yeghvard in Kotayk region of Armenia. It was built in the 7th century by Armenian Prince Grigor Mamikonyan. In medieval Armenia, this monastery was a center of manuscript copying. In 1638 the Turkish army burned the monastery. In 1735, the battle of Turkish and Persian troops that took place in that territory destroyed St. Theodoros, and it was abandoned.
Тhe Armenian Catholic monastery of Bzommar (or Zmmar as pronounced in Armenian) was founded in 1750 in the Lebanon village of Bzommar during the days of the Armenian Catholic Patriarch Hagop Bedros II (1749-1753). The monastery has a rich library hosting 2000 manuscripts and 900 old printed Armenian books. The cathedral of the monastery was built in 1771. There is an old miraculous icon of the Holy Virgin in the monastery that is placed in a chapel built in 1940.
This is the name of many small chapel-like buildings that are spread throughout Armenia and are mainly located on altitudes or at water sources (they can be also found in human-populated areas). They are considered holy and healing, and have their celebration days.
The Monastery of Holy Savior is one of the oldest buildings in New Julfa (now a quarter in the Iranian city of Isfahan). Its church was built in 1655. It is richly decorated with frescoes authored by Hovhannes Mrkuz, Father Stepanos, and Master Minas. Under the altar of the church is the grave of Khachatur Kesaratsi, founder of the first printing house in Iran.
St. Gregory Monastery of Bardzrakash was founded in the 10th century and is located in the Lori region of Armenia, 2 km from the village of Dsegh, on the slope of a gorge, in a forest. The tribal cemetery of the Mamikonian house is situated in the territory of the monastery. The monastery's Church of the Holy Mother of God was built in 1221 by Marzpan the son of Prince Sargis Mamikonian.
St. John Monastery of Ardvi, which is also known as Srbanes Monastery or John of Odzun Monastery, was founded in the 8th century. It is located not far from the village of Ardvi in the Lori region of Armenia. In the northern church of the monastery is the tombstone of Catholicos John III of Odzun.
Vorotnavank Monastery is located in Syunik region of Armenia, 14 km north of the town of Sisian. It was founded in the year c. 1000 by Syunik Queen Shahandukht. According to historian Stepanos Orbelian, the oldest church of the monastery, the Church of St. Gregory, was founded by Gregory the Illuminator and later rebuilt by hermit Stepanos.
The monastery is located to the north-east of the village of Buzhakan in Kotayk marz of Armenia (historical region of Nig), on the slope of Mount Teghenis. Both the mountain and the monastery derive their name from elms ("teghi" in Armenian) that grow in that place. The oldest building of the monastic complex was the Church of the Holy Mother of God that was built in the 6th-7th centuries.
The Monastery of Makenis is located in the village of Makenis in the marz of Gegharkunik, Republic of Armenia. The monastery's main church, St. Mother of God, was founded in 851 by Prince Grigor Supan, son of Princess Mariam. The monastery was one of the major cultural and educational centers in medieval Armenia.
Moro Dzoro (or Tsrviz) Monastery is located on the right slope of the southwestern ravine of Lusahovit village of Tavush Marz in Armenia. It was built in the 5th-7th centuries. The monastery of Nor Varagavank is also in the same region, near the village of Varagavan, and was founded by king David II Kyurikian in the 12th century.