Throughout centuries, Armenian monasteries have played a great role in the spiritual, cultural and political life of the Armenian people. These holy sites are recognized not only as centers of prayer, but also as scriptoriums where numerous works and translations were scripted, hand-copied and passed on to generations to come. Many of the church complexes represent magnificent and inimitable samples of the Armenian ancient and medieval architecture.
The monastery is located near the town of Yeghvard in Kotayk region of Armenia. It was built in the 7th century by Armenian Prince Grigor Mamikonyan. In medieval Armenia, this monastery was a center of manuscript copying. In 1638 the Turkish army burned the monastery. In 1735, the battle of Turkish and Persian troops that took place in that territory destroyed St. Theodoros, and it was abandoned.
Тhe Armenian Catholic monastery of Bzommar (or Zmmar as pronounced in Armenian) was founded in 1750 in the Lebanon village of Bzommar during the days of the Armenian Catholic Patriarch Hagop Bedros II (1749-1753). The monastery has a rich library hosting 2000 manuscripts and 900 old printed Armenian books. The cathedral of the monastery was built in 1771. There is an old miraculous icon of the Holy Virgin in the monastery that is placed in a chapel built in 1940.
This is the name of many small chapel-like buildings that are spread throughout Armenia and are mainly located on altitudes or at water sources (they can be also found in human-populated areas). They are considered holy and healing, and have their celebration days.